Every year as many as 30 people die in the UK as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty gas appliances that have not been properly installed or maintained.
We carry out annual gas safety checks to all our properties to ensure our residents’ health and safety is not put at risk. This is a legal requirement and failure to allow access is a breach of the tenancy agreement. Where necessary we will take appropriate legal action to gain entry.
How and when the checks are carried out
We will write to you approximately six weeks prior to the anniversary date of the previous test. If the stated time and date is not convenient we can rearrange to suit your requirements. All our engineers carry formal identification please ask to see it before allowing access.
Gas appliances you have installed yourself
Home appliances that are not provided by Axiom, including gas cookers, should be installed by a fully qualified gas engineer. You can find your nearest one on the Gas Safe website.
The ‘silent killer’ - know the signs
You could be inhaling carbon monoxide without realising it as you can’t see it, smell it or taste it. But at high concentrations it can kill you in minutes. Some signs that indicate an appliance might be faulty:
- Soot or staining on or around appliances
- Increased condensation inside windows
- The pilot light /flame is orange or yellow and may appear extended or floppy
- The pilot light /flame keeps going out
If you have concerns about a gas or oil appliance switch it off and do not reuse it until you have had it checked out by a qualified engineer.
What are the symptoms?
- Loss of consciousness
If unsure, ask yourself these questions:
- Are others in the household (including pets) affected?
- Do the symptoms ease or disappear when you are away from the house, eg on holiday, but reoccur when you return?
- Are the symptoms related to the use of a fuel burning appliance?
If you think you may be suffering:
- Get fresh air immediately
- Open doors and windows
- Switch off the appliance if you are able to do so
- Switch off the gas supply at the control valve (if you know where it is and it is safe to do so)
- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital
- Immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999